Tuesday 27 March 2012

Make Shift Gourmet

Being a student, at the end of term, usually leads to beans on own brand bread (ok I'm a little bit of a snob and my cupboard has seen nothing but Hovis, however I have seen my fair share of beans over the last few weeks). Tonight though was a different story.
I managed to whip myself up a tasty little number, a bit like a Carbonara but with curly kale instead of mushrooms, and no onion. As a dinner of pretty much leftovers I thought this was quite an achievement. 
You might ask, kale? Who has kale as a leftover? Well, Kale is fast becoming one of my favourite veggies. Relatively cheap and I would compare it to spinach, a little bit more bitter in flavour but I use it in the same way, and one thing I love is that, unlike spinach, it keeps some of its structure (archi term alert!) when boiled. And I just love a crunchy veg! 
I also had to use spaghetti and linguine as I had about half a portion of each. Linguine always sounds posher on a restaurants menu I think, but I really didn't notice the difference when it was all put together.
So basically, streaky bacon, cream (a generous amount, I looove cream), kale and pasta. Just a little salt and a blob of philadelphia. (whats a creamy recipe without a scoop of philly I think). 
Yum yum and the poor students dinner turns into a delicious delight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment