Thursday 19 December 2013

Ecuador is weird.

So it might be an unfair statement to say an entire country/possibly an entire continent is 'weird', and to be more politically correct I shall say that Ecuador is indeed different.

There are many many many things here that strike me as odd, most of which do not warrant an entire blog post but more a simple mention. So here I am going to give you a taster of the weird stuff that happens in Ecuador. Or at least that I have seen an can remember at this moment off the top of my head. I have been in the country 5 weeks today! Plenty of time to experience some weird and wonderful.

Pavements aren't necessarily a thing even in the middle of the city, I deem this pretty dangerous particularly when you take into account how the Ecuadoreans drive, however I haven't seen anyone get run over yet.

On the other hand I have seen a couple of dead dogs in the road :(. This is because everyone has dogs, most of them aren't necessarily ferrel, however most people just seem to let their dogs wander around the streets. Luckily they are all pretty friendly and sometimes hang around in little groups which I think is kinda cute... at least they have friends.

Everyone eats rice every single day. Enough said.

The pipes here are really really bad so you have to put your used lavatory paper in a little bin by the toilet. It's taken me a while to get my head around this but it's actually not so bad, the bins are changed every single day and it's all dealt with very well. Maybe i'm too used to my luxury western lifestyle.
Saying this, most people deem is ok to smush anything smushable down the plug hole and throw rubbish in drains.

Everywhere you go there is someone to do whatever you need. Shine your shoes, push your shopping trolley to your car, direct your car into a parking space, essentially cater to your every need. In exchange for a couple of shiny silver coins (minimal money) i'm living like the Queen of Sheba.

Loads of people have trucks (the roads in many places are pretty bad) and their friends/family's just sit in the back. On the highway, up the mountains, wherever.

Scaffolding is often bamboo poles precariously hashed to the side of a building, and no scaffolding nets. Bits of debris keep falling on my head.

You can haggle for pretty much anything. Unless your'e shopping in the supermarket or somewhere like Zara you can get everything for cheaper. I mean everything. Taxis, jewellery, food, clothes, services. I haven't partaken in any haggling yet but Lucy (my adopted Ecuadorean mother) is an absolute pro.

One more thing I cant get my head around is that they dub some American and English films into Spanish, but still put subtitles on them, with different words. Definitely the same language. Even lucy is confused by this phenomenon.

There is definitely more weird stuff but I can't think of any of it right now. So, Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment