Saturday 4 August 2012

An Outing in the Big City. Serpentine.

So to following my best friends 21st Birthday night out we hauled ourselves out of bed the next day, nursing VERY sore heads, and after a cup of tea and a spot of toast we made a beeline for Hyde Park.

Hyde Park is a great place to visit, although I fear that I don't appreciate it as much as those who live in the hustle bustle of London, living in Brighton for the last 2 years and spending most of my childhood rallying around my Granddad's house and forest in the country on quad bikes and climbing trees, and living on an Island of which only 4% is built on, has given me a life full of the clean air and nature. However the main reason for visiting was, in fact, the 2012 Serpentine Pavilion.

Girl reading. 


If you haven't heard of this, basically every year a different Architect designs a pavilion that sits next to the Serpentine Gallery in the park. This year, designed by the architects Herzog and de Meuron and artist Ai Weiwei the subterranean structure sits elegantly in the park, with a mirrored roof and cork furniture. You can enter from all sides down cork steps which bring you into the space. The light quality inside is ethereal and it's low roof creates a cosy but calming atmosphere, with corners and hidy holes galore. Theres places to lie down, sit below or above the entry level, up against columns and walls. I could sit in there with a good book all day. Well worth a visit. Read more here! Open until October.


Cork seats, they actually look like bottle corks!


Next Up
Borough Market! YUM

2 comments:

  1. I think we are rather spoilt for open spaces living in Brighton, not only the sea on our front door step, but our vast back garden is the South Downs.

    I love London, but I couldn't live there......well I couldn't afford to for a start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's nice for a visit, Brighton's also so close to it anyway! And I couldn't live that far from the sea.

      Delete