Wednesday 15 August 2012

Cowes. pt.1

Ok, I might currently be a Brightonian but my true home is Cowes on the Isle of Wight. I headed back for the week for a few home comforts and to see my friends and family.

Usually a week in Cowes means a hedonistic whirlwind of drunken nights, lunches, cheese and wine parties, and this time it proved to be no different. I was more than excited to see all my oldest and closest friends so immediately held cheese and wine night at my (well my mums) house. These are always good and provide the prime opportunity to share all the gossip and get a bit tipsy in the process. I love entertaining at my house, it's become a bit of a tradition and it means I can just flop into bed when it's all over.
Cheese board ready to be devoured. Presentation is not an issue after several large glasses of wine!

The days in Cowes consist of walks along the beach, lots of tea and cake and lunch. I love living in Brighton by the sea but my house here feels practically in land compared to my house on the Island, and the promenade sweeps for miles in front of luxury mansions and apartments. (i'm not lucky enough to live in a seafront manor!)  Our favourite place is a quirky cafe that is Beatles themed. It's not the Ritz by any means but a friendly atmosphere, a good cup of tea, carrot cake and delicious sweet potato chips make this place an absolute winner. And of course, they only play the Beatles! Look at them here!

Dramatic sky looking out from the Royal Yacht Squadron
Sophie looking gorgeous over a cup of tea and a catch up
 Shopping is always a nice pass time too. Cowes isn't a bustling metropolis (with a population of about 11 thousand) but it's boutique shops provide (an often pricy) alternative to the standard high street that you find in every large town around the country. My favourite shop is a little place called shorelines gallery, the sell an amazing collection of nautical themed prints and have a great card selection! This is their website! Another great place names Cameos, is a shop that sells unclaimed airline baggage and fancy dress items. We popped in for Bestival costume inspiration!

I hope Beth and Sophie never see that i've put this online ;)
And at the end of a nice day of shopping and lunching, usually on a hangover, it's nice to just pay a visit to my dad in the next town for a Pimm's and a bit of dinner.  Clearly getting my liver ready for Cowes week! Watch out for a post on a wild Cowes week night soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment