Monday 1 October 2012

Bestival '12

I am a fan of music, but not any more than the average Joe. I also don't really like being muddy and wet, and I don't like sleeping on the floor. However, I love Bestival!


This was the fourth year in a row I've been to the festival on my home piece of rock, the Isle of Wight, and I just can't get enough. There's something about that weekend. Your'e head stays in a permanent cider filled haze of lights and colours and chinese fast food and music. Fast music, slow music, scary music and rave music. All the music.

We managed to find ourselves camping within metres of one of the atages, the Afterburner. Playing music until 6 in the morning the ground shakes and trembles as DJ's blast club music out of the massive speakers. You can also hear the sound of the fire jets that give this stage it's name. They are quite good to go and stand near if your'e a bit chilly as well. I was in my tent before this stage closed up in the wee hours every night but managed to sleep through. This camping/partying combination is tiring!

Florence and the Machine
As far as music goes my highlight has to be Florence and the Machine. I have seen her twice before this but this time she was even more spectacular than ever. Smily on a mix of cider and Bacardi I waved my arms around as Frenchy danced about with me on his shoulders. Previous to Florence the XX had played, a band I love but I wasn't sure about them for a festival vibe, but I was so wrong! Not the party tunes but perfect still, making the Friday night my favourite about of the four.

Other band highlights included Justice, Stevie Wonder and Two Door Cinema Club.

As far as other entertainments go you're spoiled for choice at Bestival. A roller disco, wall of death, 'Grand Palace of Entertainment' and more dancing venues than can be counted on both of your hands keep you more than busy ALL the time, leaving you barely enough minutes to down a cocktail and sprint to the next stage for a band you want to see.

A highlight of the weekend is DRESSING UP! Every year there is a different theme for everyone to consider for the Saturday. This years theme was Wildlife. I tried to make a lion costume. (Ears and mittens) but looked much more like a bear so Frenchy and I went with the bear thing. It was so fun and I kept the ears and mittens :)



So as a weekend goes, it might cost a few pennies but 4 days at Bestival is more than worth it! I promise!

Photos from Caroline :)

Bestival 09

Bestival 10

Besitval 11

No comments:

Post a Comment