Monday 4 November 2013

South America - In at the the deep end.

So,

Shortly after my frivolous ski trip back in February my journey as an Architecture student spiralled into a haze of sleepless nights, square eyes and computer induced claw hands. Let's just say it was turbulent as I'm not sure I want to relive most of it however I've been spat out the other side of Undergraduate Architecture with an almost respectable second class honours degree.

This is in a world of 1 place per 300 applicants did not promise the best and I was almost resigned to the fact that I would be a Barista (I am in fact a good Barista, I make cakes too...) until I managed to blackmail my way into an office.

Then, out of the blue a Practice in none other than Ecuador, who heard about me through a family connection, asked for me to send my portfolio.
Ecuador? What? Isn't that a strange little latino, Spanish speaking country nestled partly in the Amazon Rainforest? So, I send my portfolio over....and don't hear anything for a month, nearly 2 months. I think nothing of the practice in the strange little latino, Spanish speaking country nestled partly in the Amazon rainforest....until....and I paraphrase.... "Can you start in 4 weeks as an apprentice? Pays good, medical care covered, here's a contract for you to sign". One hour later the contract is signed and sent. Have I just made the worst or best decision of my life?

So, it is now 9 days until I leave. The flight (one way) is booked, visa application approved and accommodation organised. This is really happening, but i'm still REALLY bad at Spanish, despite emergency tutoring.

A visa is a massively annoying thing to aquire. I never imagines, being from country of the Golden Passport, that i'd have to get a visa. Then again, I never imagined i'd have a one way ticket to South America booked. It involves reems of paperwork, and a trip to the Consulate. In this case the consulate of Ecuador is one floor in Trafalgar Square above the Uganda High Commission. Although there is ALOT of paperwork and proof of certain things the actual visit to the consulate is all pretty relaxed.

I'm going to be staying with my family connections relatives, Lucy and Luis. They have a little dog (or perro) called Lleya (like the Star Wars Princess) and I have spoken to them on skype. They've already got me a lunch box to take to work....

So keep tuned, i'm going to be on something of an adventure.

Hasta Pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment