Saturday 19 May 2012

Architecture Fundraiser

So, it works out that doing a degree in Architecture constitutes to doing the most expensive degree in the history of the planet. I'm sure I spend 50 quid a week on printing, and don't get me started on pens that come in at the price of a weekly food shop, each. However, this is all manageable with the odd sniffly phone call to mummy and a bit of good budgeting. However there is one shabang that skyrockets out of the budget zone and into the price of a new car zone, and that is the end of year show.

In one year I will be showcasing my best work in London, and Brighton to try and catch the eye of architects in the hope this will procure me some form of job, as well as being a prestigious event of which is actually quite a biggy in the world of student architecture. Problem, costs a bomb. This is where fundraisers come in. Our society organises events in which to try and bring in some of the money, or we simply wouldn't be able to afford to do it. The best of these events is what is now becoming a regular occurrence, and is a club night at the Green Door Store in Brighton, find them here!

This week it was the first one to raise money for our show (previous ones have been for the year above, of which there show starts next week and I wish them the best of luck). I managed to coerce the boyfriend into coming to further show my support, but I plied him with a few drinks in the pub before we went because he's a little shy and it's a super social event of schmoozing and chatting.

The event itself was a little quieter than previous ones but still pretty packed (its exam period in the world of university), and all my good architecture friends were there. One of our tutors (the cleverest man alive, and from New York) had been practicing his DJ set for a month for the event, it was pretty good actually and reminded me of my long weekend in Berlin back in September.

One of my my best friends (also an archi student) seemed to be throwing herself at one of our younger, more good looking tutors which was fairly embarrassing and one of my other best friends was too scared to go and talk to a fellow student he fancied. It's practically high school all over again! We kept it classy and didn't drag it out longer than sociably acceptable and left about 2.30 (moving on for more drinks). All in all a good event with many more to come (to make the brunt of paying for this show a bit easier).

 Follow Brightonuniarch on Twitter!
I have a stupid face, no idea who the man in the back is...

No comments:

Post a Comment