Monday 7 May 2012

The Giggling Squid

Sorry, no pictures for this one, but I went to the Giggling Squid Thai Restaurant in the South Lanes the other night. it was quite an off the cuff Idea, I thought i'd a) make a decision on where to eat for once b) thought me and Frenchy should try somewhere new. And I'm so glad we did!

The atmosphere was not the best. The tables were very close together, and I personally like my space if I'm going out for a nice dinner, however the room was small and they've made the most of it. Also could of done with a bit of ambient music (Thai music?) but once we got chatting I didn't notice.

As the food goes, superb! Reasonably priced dishes (including their 'giggling squid'), of things you would expect from a thai, but it was cooked well. I had Sea Bream Red Thai Curry. Delish. Not too spicy for me,  with a good amount of fish and veg to sauce, with the most amazing salad on the side carved into flower shapes. (one day I will be able to do that, I will make sure of it!). I decided on Jasmine rice for the side, perfect accompaniment. I definitely recommend this dish. Frenchy had something beef which I can't remember the name of, it was also delicious but a bit spicy (and he's a little girl when it comes to spice), with a nice bit of egg fried rice on the side. Also recommended.
I'll also mention their delicious prawn crackers. None of that foamy crisp crap you get from your chinese take out. Actual crispy cracker type affair, spiced. Nom nom nom, powering through those before the mains arrived was a delight.

After guzzling a bottle of wine at the restaurant we then went on to the Mucky Duck pub, a firm favourite of ours for more wine, and the barmaid made us a great drink, a mix of Baileys and Orange Liqueur over ice. Oh my god so good.  The night ended very late as just the two of us hit the dance floor at one of our favourite nightclub haunts. I think we're an embarrassment together.

All in all a great night, with a high recommendation from me for the Giggling Squid. Booking is recommended on weekends but we had no problems getting a table in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment